This Week's Soundtrack parepares for Mardi Gras and accompanying shows from Trombone Shorty and Galactic, with a few lighter tunes from Angel Olsen, Hurray for the Riff Raff and more.
This Week's Playlist on Spotify
1. "Shanty" - The Bright Light Social Hour: The psych-leaning rock act from Austin comes to the House of Blues on Wednesday. This track is from the band's 2010 self-titled debut.
2. "True Trans Soul Rebel" - Against Me!: From the punk underdogs' first release since lead singer Laura Jane Grace came out as a transgender woman. Transgender Dysphoria Blues is now a significant part of the national LGBTQ discourse and has been praised by critics for its honest perspective from a sexual outsider, an idea Carl Wilson explores here for Slate.
3. "Wake Up & Lose" - The Humpers: More for the outsiders: a track off the punk act's 1996 album, Live Forever or Die Trying.
4. "In the Dark Places" - PJ Harvey: On the UK alt-star's most recent release, Let England Shake.
5. "Sweet Spot" - WIld Beasts: The latest peek at the English band's newest, Present Tense, out Tuesday. The group's darker, more experimental leanings are fully indulged on this album if this track and other single "Wanderlust" are at all indicative.
6. "Unfucktheworld" - Angel Olsen: From Olsen's new Burn Your Fire For No Witness, where the singer/songwriter flexes her edgier side while maintaining her serene but morose brand on tracks like this one.
7. "Small Town Heroes" - Hurray for the Riff Raff: Title track from the New Orleans group's new album, garnering some major online music blog buzz over the past weeks.
8. "Zigaboo" - Chaos Orchestra: A track named for the Meters' drummer Zigaboo Modeliste from the 20-piece big-band-fused-with-whatever group from the UK.
9. "Go to Hell" - Raphael Saadiq: Off Stone Rollin', the 2011 album from the multi-talented producer behind Trombone Shorty's latest.
10. "Long Weekend" - Trombone Shorty: "You never know what can happen a long weekend." Appropriate leading up to Mardi Gras, no? Trombone Shorty plays Tipitina's Bacchus Bash Sunday.
11. "Mama Used To Say" - Junior: Another one for your long weekend.
12. "Black Out Days" - Phantogram: From the electro pop outfit's 2014 release, Voices, slated for Buku come March.
13. "Break From Toronto" - PARTYNEXTDOOR: Taken off the Canadian singer's self-titled mixtape dropped last year on tourmate Drake's OVO Sound label.
14. "Roll My Carpet Out" - 3d Na'tee: The New Orleans rapper plays House of Blues on Saturday.
15. "Play" - Snow Tha Product: A banger from the Mexican-American rapper who plays Friday at House of Blues.
16. "Water Me" - FKA Twigs: An odd but entrancing cut from the elusive new talent who recently did a haunting live session at a Mayan ruin. A mixture of Grimes-like bleep bloops and Majical Cloudz-brand minimalism, FKA Twigs' 2013 EP2 is an experimental work that rewards patience.
17. "Doo Wop" (That Thing) - Quantic, Anita Tijoux, Iara Rennó: A Latin hip-hop cover of the Lauryn Hill classic from a collaboration between producer Quantic and musician Anita Tijoux. This take brings out the festive, easygoing vibe of the original.
18. "Carnivale TIme" - Galactic: It's what we're all really waiting for this week. Galactic is ready to celebrate with Mardi Gras shows Saturday and Monday at Tip's. Here's to this helping you make it to the weekend.