Current Noise Ordinance Withdrawn, to be Refocused

[Updated] The controversial sound ordinance that was introduced to City Council December 19 was slated for public debate tomorrow before the Housing and Human Needs Committee. Opponents feared that the lower decibel levels that it proposed, along with the further sound reduction that would have accompanied changes in where and how sound was measured, would harm the New Orleans music community. 

Bourbon Street Wants to Lead the Noise Fight?

The revised sound ordinance will be discussed by City Council’s Housing and Human Needs Committee Friday at noon in Council Chambers at City Hall, so everybody’s doing what they can to pre-tilt the scales. The most ironic effort comes from a coalition of Bourbon Street and French Quarter business owners, who sent a letter to Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge-Morrell last week asking her to oppose the revised ordinance. It says in part:

The Sound of Science

David Woolworth is quick to point out that his work is contributing to a "sound ordinance," not a noise ordinance. "There’s sound and unwanted sound, which some would consider noise," he said in an interview Monday. "The same thing you might like, somebody else might not like."

Pages