This Week's Soundtrack gets meta with cuts from films like Out of Sight and Django Unchained, not forgetting new music from the Black Keys and Tony Molina as well as an upcoming Outkast tribute.
This Week's Soundtrack on Spotify
1. “Hogs Wild” - Stu Phillips: Starting the Soundtrack with a soundtrack, this cut comes from one of the underrated soundtrack artists.
2. "Pablo's Dove" - Bertrand Burgalat: Another experienced soundtrack artist, but with a track from his personal solo work, Portrait-Robot.
3. "Depth of My Soul" (feat. Shana Halligan) - Thievery Corporation: Off the electronic duo's latest Saudade, dropped last week.
4. "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime" - Zucchero: The Italian artist covers The Korgis here and plays Parish Room on Saturday.
5. "4 O'Clock Tea (Laudanum)" - Stu Phillips: From his soundtrack for the psychedelic biker movie, Angels from Hell.
6. "Upstate NYC" - David Holmes: Soundtrack work from the 2011 film Haywire by the Irish DJ-turned-soundtrack composer.
7. "Theme From Enter The Dragon" - Lalo Schifrin: From one of the greatest martial arts films of all time and the composer of the classic Mission: Impossible theme.
8. "The Human Jungle" - John Barry Seven & Orchestra: From the soundtrack of the eponymous television show that shared an interest in psychotherapy similar to current TV underdog Hannibal and hit HBO anthology series True Detective.
9. "Rip Rip" - David Holmes: From the late 1990s George Clooney vehicle, Out of Sight with a great clip of Don Cheadle.
10. "Wow" - Chimurenga Renaissance: Shabazz Palaces shook up the rap game with experimental and highly regarded debut Black Up in 2011, and the duo teamed up with a producer to release riZe vadZimu riZe last month under this new moniker.
11. "Estasi - Ecstasy of Violence" - Ennio Moricone: Back to the soundtracks, this one drawing from 1970s spaghetti western Il Mercianaro
12. "The Summertime Killer" - Luis Bacalov: Off the soundtrack for the film of the same name.
13. "1977" - Ana Tijoux: The Chilean MC rose to fame with the rap group Makiza and released this track on her own in 2010.
14. "Town of Silence" - Luis Bacalov: Another from Bacalov that Quentin Tarrantino repurposed in his NOLA-filmed Django Unchained.
15. "Don't Wait" (Chance the Rapper remix) - Mapei: Chance the Rapper, who played a late night set at Buku last month, jumps on this track from the Stockholm-based singer.
16. "Ghetto" (feat. Rich Homie Quan) - August Alsina: The New Orleans-born singer recently made his late night debut with Arsenio Hall, and he share's this track with the buzzy Quan.
17. "Heat" - Mobb Deep: The East Coast legends from Queens play the House of Blues' Parish Room on Tuesday.
18. "Stay High" (feat. Mod Sun) - G-Eazy: The New Orleans rapper takes the stage at One Eyed Jacks on Saturday.
19. "Pretty Muthafucka" - Lil Debbie: The Kreayshawn-associated rapper with a winning Twitter feed comes to the Republic on Thursday
20. "Needle to the Groove" - Mantronix: Reaching back to hip-hop's earliest days, off the influential group's self-titled 1985 debut.
21. "The Payoff Mix" - Steinski Double Dee: Speaking of great firsts, an early showing of mixing prowess from the hip-hop production duo.
22. "Gasoline Dreams" - Outkast (feat. Khujo Goodie): It's hard to imagine that this highlight from Stankonia won't be included in the Outkast tribute show that will take place Sunday at the Howlin' Wolf.
23. "Fever" - The Black Keys: A new single from the rock duo, who seem to be finally changing it up a bit for new album Turn Blue, out May 13.
24. "Shut Up" - White Fang: The DIY punk familiars take the Circle Bar stage on Tuesday.
25. "Psychic Trauma" - Cloud Nothings: The Cleveland group who fuses hardcore with indie rock released latest effort Here and Nowhere Else last week, including this single.
26. "How to Live In a Bad Dream" - Brass Bed: The Lafayette folk rock fusion group play Gasa Gasa on Friday.
27. "Willing Wasted Time" - Uncle Lucius: From the Austin rock 'n' roll band that swings by the Howlin' Wolf Den on Wednesday.
28. "Shit Shots Count" - Drive-By Truckers: The country meets alt-rock band from Athens, Georgia, with a devoted cult following play two Jazz Fest weekend shows at the Civic Theatre on May 2 and 3.
29. "Color Me Impressed" - The Replacements: Never a bad time for the alt-rock pioneers, with this track from Hootenanny.
30. "Walk Away" - Tony Molina: Molina used to be hardcore, but now he's on his own with the power pop album, Dissed and Dismissed based on hardcore principles. No song on it is longer than 1:32, so it doesn't screw around.