New music from Young Fathers, Nots, Slutever, Prefuse 73, and Problem with Salva.
This week marks the return of "Freshly Spilt Milk,” our new weekly feature with a Soundcloud playlist of new music first released online.
1. "Open Wide" - Slutever: A blend of youthful naivete and retrospective apathy, “Open Wide” occupies territory somewhere between punk rock and pop. Their album Almost Famous is due to be released February 27.
2. "Slums and Seaports" - Twist: A haunting track that never stops building, “Slums and Seaports” is a grunge track from Toronto group Twist’s upcoming EP, Arrow Road.
3. "Decadence" - Nots: "Decadence" is the growling, vindictive single from Nots’ debut LP, We Are Nots. You can see them live February 7 at Saturn Bar in New Orleans
4. "Frank" - Exotic Pets: Exotic Pets are an up and coming New Orleans future jazz punk band. “Frank” is a track off their recently released, self-titled demo tape. Check them out at the Dragon’s Den in New Orleans on March 19.
5. "Tearing the Posters Down" - Dick Diver: Dick Diver has just released "Tearing The Posters Down," an indie track off their new album, Melbourne, Florida. It is set for release March 10 on Trouble In Mind.
6. "Rain or Shine" - Young Fathers: “Rain or Shine” is the throbbing, primal first single from the album Young Fathers just announced, White Men Are Black Men Too, out April 7 on Big Dada.
7. "Lucia" - ANAMAI: ANAMAI is the experimental folk project of Anna Mayberry and David Psutka, and their single, “Lucia” is an introspective journey through time and space that is more melodious than melancholy. ANAMAI'S debut full-length record, Sallows, is set for release March 10 on Buzz Records.
8. "Infrared" - Prefuse 73: It has been four years since Prefuse 73 released any new music, but with the unveiling of the clean, head-nodding single, “Infrared,” he has initiated a series of major works slated for release in 2015.
9. "Running with the Boys" - Leisure Cruise: Leisure Cruise’s remix of “Running with the Boys,” is a soaring synth-pop song with a side of funk that is light and dark, euphoric and introspective.
10. "Waited 4 U" - Phantoms Remix: Los Angeles dark pop dance duo Phantoms have released a thumping house remix of Slow Magic's "Waited 4 U,” in celebration of their upcoming tour with Viceroy. The band is debuting their new stage performance in Washington, D.C. on February 5th and making stops in New York, Boston, Los Angeles and Santa Ana.
11. "I'm That N*gga" - tshawntrusst: The first Fool’s Gold hip-hop release of 2015 comes from Ohio newcomer tshawntrusst, with the R&B infused, head-bobbing track, “I’m That N*gga.” The futuristic beat was produced by Soulection and Rvdical the Kid, and could mark a continuation of Fool Gold’s streak of auspicious rap debuts, which range from Kid Cudi to Danny Brown.
12. "Compton" - Problem (prod. by Salva): Just a week after dropping his $$$ SECRET STASH $$$ edits, Salva is back with a new track. He and Problem have teamed up for "Compton," a trapped out song in celebration of Salva's Peacemaker Tour.