This Week's Spotify Soundtrack looks forward to shows by Juvenile, Man Man, Grammatik, The Love Language and more, as well as new music by Janelle Monae, Delorean, The Weeknd, and Mali's Tamikrest.
1. "Kathy Lee" - Jessy Lanza: From my long-time home in Hamilton, Ontario, produced by Jeremy Greenspan of Junior Boys.
2. "Kiss Land" - The Weeknd: More cool dance music from north of the border.
3. "Telefony" - Grammatik feat. Diox HIFI Banda: Grammatik plays The Republic Thursday.
4. "Nolia Clap" - Juvenile feat. Wacko, Skip: Juvenile returns to The Howlin' Wolf Friday. This is theoretically a chopped and screwed version. I don't hear that, but I like the nuttiness of the sound.
5. "Electric Lady" - Janelle Monae feat. Solange: From Janelle Monae's new album, The Electric Lady. Lyrically, it continues a sci-fi opera trilogy concept, but that doesn't matter because she's developing her own version of funk, R&B, rock and pop, and it works.
6. "Destitute Time" - Delorean: New from the Spanish dance pop band and its album, Apar. They'll play One Eyed Jacks November 7.
7. "Born Tight" - Man Man: The indie rock band plays The Howlin' Wolf Saturday night.
8. "Imanin Bas Zihoun" - Tamikrest: Another band of musical refugees from northern Mali, and their new album, Chatma.
9. "Straight at the Sun" - Murder by Death: Murder by Death plays One Eyed Jacks Sunday.
10. "Essence" - Lucinda Williams: This is one of the songs that made me think about the link between Lucinda and Lou Reed. The song likens love to addiction, and when she sings, "I am waiting by your door," I always expect the next line to be "I am waiting for my man," and it might as well be.
11. "Hey Stranger" - Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers: Bluhm will open for The Revivalists at Tipitina's Saturday.
12. "The Game Needed Me" - Minus the Bear: Minus the Bear will play Tipitina's Wednesday.
13. "Camper's Combo" Sick/Sea: Sick/Sea plays The Circle Bar Wednesday.
14. "Kids" - The Love Language: The Love Language is at Gasa Gasa Thursday.