This Week's Soundtrack features some classics from Miles Davis to Dylan covers while looking forward to upcoming shows from Jack White, Avey Tare and The Breton Sound covering Weezer.
This Week's Soundtrack on Spotify
1. "Brownsville Girl - Reprise" - Reggie Watts: From a Dylan cover album that attempted to revitalize his '80s work, this track from Watts was one of the more adventurous cuts.
2. "Foot of Pride" - Lou Reed: Another Dylan cover by a fellow legend, the late, great Reed.
3. "Girl of the North Country" - Howard Tate: If you're still craving more Dylan covers, here's a soulful take from Tate.
4. "Dayglo Reflection" (feat. Lana Del Rey) - Bobby Womack: American icon Womack plays Jazz Fest later this month, and it's a slim chance he'll play much from 2012's Bravest Man in the World, produced by Damon Albarn and Richard Russell, but one can hope.
5. "I Luv This Shit" (feat. Trinidad James) - August Alsina: The NOLA rapper's Testimony drops tomorrow, and he celebrates the release at the Howlin' Wolf that same night.
6. "Go Go Gettem" (feat. M1 & Palaceer Lazaro) - Chimurenga Renaissance: This latest release from one half of Shabazz Palaces, riZe vadZimu riZe, features some of 2014's most innovative production thus far.
7. "Water Fountain" - tUnE-yArDs: More of 2014's most interesting work yet, Merrill Garbus went back to singing, dancing and drumming school for this third release, Nikki Nack, out May 5.
8. "The Days of Adderall" - Deleted Scenes: These D.C. art rockers play Wednesday at Circle Bar with De Lune Deluge and The Ben Jones Band opening.
9. "Duplex Trip" - Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks: The Animal Collective co-founder released Enter the Slasher Flick last week, and he plays with his new band at the House of Blues on May 2.
10. "Big Stars" - Perfect Pussy: From the post-punk buzz band's debut LP, Say Yes to Love, playing Gasa Gasa on May 1.
11. "The Void" - The Raincoats: More post-punk, this time from the late '70s off the Raincoats' self-titled album.
12. "The Curse" - Mekons: Some more classic post-punk, off this English group's The Curse of the Mekons.
13. "Drone Operator" - Jon Langford & Skull Orchard: Mekons member Langford has an exhibit at LeMieux Galleries opening on April 26 with a few shows to accompany it.
14. "Violent Shiver" - Benjamin Booker: The New Orleans-based Booker will open for Drive-By Truckers May 2 and 3 at the Civic Theatre.
15. "Governor's Ball" - Conor Oberst: New from the Bright Eyes leader whose recently shown off some different sides, including some punk work in addition to his well-known emo pursuits.
16. "The Day Dock Went Hunting Heads" - The Baseball Project: What better way to celebrate the early days of baseball season than with a new album, 3rd, from the Baseball Project?
17. "Getchoo" - Weezer: The Breton Sound are sure to included this cut when the group covers Weezer's late-bloomer classic Pinkerton at Gasa Gasa on Thursday.
18. "High Ball Stepper" - Jack White: The elusive, ornery, but legendary White just announced his next solo LP Lazaretto, and he plays the Saenger on June 3.
19. "Awake" - Tycho: This already-rich producer got even richer with his sound on 2014 release Awake, and he plays the Republic April 28.
20. "I Built Myself a Metal Bird" - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra: The Montreal-based punk-folk side project from members of The Boards of Canada will play Gasa Gasa Sunday.
21. "Willie Nelson" - Miles Davis: The legendary Davis is commemorated once again with a four disc live release from The Filmore.