This Week's Soundtrack focuses on Jazz Fest's first weekend and coinciding shows around town.
This Week's Soundtrack on Spotify
1. "BJ's Bounce" - King James & The Special Men: The local R&B group kicks off a week of Jazz Fest and other performances, this one at d.b.a on Thursday.
2. "Holy Ghost Power!" - The Mercy Brothers: The Lafayette roots and folk rock act plays a Chickie Wah Wah show on Saturday.
3. "Maison Creole [Live at Merlotte's]" - CC Adcock & The Lafayette Marquis: Another Lafayette group, with Adcock and crew playing a late night d.b.a show on Friday and at One Eyed Jacks the next day with Dumpstaphunk.
4. "Nitrus" - Dick Dale: The once-dubbed King of Surf Rock brings his gnarly riffs to the Howlin' Wolf on Wednesday.
5. "Rebel Without a Pause" - Public Enemy: The legendary rap duo, probably better known to younger generations for Flava Flav's reality show run, takes on Jazz Fest Friday.
6. "Around the Block" (feat. Talib Kweli) - Pretty Lights: The diverse electronic producer mixes live performance in the studio and on stage, and a band will support him for a Saturday set at Bold Sphere Music in Champions Square.
7. "Vieux Carre" - Trombone Shorty: You can't expect a music festival to go down in New Orleans without Trombone Shorty showing up somewhere, this year on Friday at the House of Blues.
8. "Time Machine" - Chocolate Milk: The original lineup for the once split-up '70s funk act reunites for a Sunday show at Jazz Fest.
9. "Amidinine" - Bombino: The Tuareg guitarist supports Tinariwen for a Thursday set at House of Blues.
11. "Stockholm" - Jason Isbell: The Alabama singer/songwriter and one time Drive-By Truckers members plays Jazz Fest on Saturday.
12. "Skin and Bones" - The Avett Brothers: One of the bigger names among the recent folk rock revitalization plays the Fest on Friday night.
13. "Crucify Your Mind" - Rodriguez: The legendary subject of the Oscar award winning documentary Searching for Sugarman has a Sunday slot at Jazz Fest.
14. "Ocean View 2.0" - Pell: The local hip hop group plays a Skype-sponsored set at the Parish Room in the House of Blues on Friday.
15. "West Coat" - Lana Del Rey: Once an indie buzz queen now a major mainstream player, the singer just released this single that sounds like a chilled out version of "Edge of Seventeen," and she plays Bold Sphere Music at Champions Square on Friday.
16. "Green Garden" - Laura Mvula: The eccentric British musician plays a Friday Jazz Fest show.
17. "Amerika Expressa" - BaianaSystem: The Bahia, Brazil, act has two shows at the Festival, Friday and Saturday.
18. "Chaghaybou" - Tinariwen: Probably the North African desert rock group to score biggest with critics in a long time, the diversely influenced group plays a Thursday House of Blues show.
19. "Psychic Trauma" - Cloud Nothings: The downtrodden post-punk Cleveland natives reminded everyone of why their so great with this year's Here and Nowhere Else, taking the Gasa Gasa stage on Thursday.
20. "Black Ops" - Rotary Downs: The long-time New Orleanians release a new album this week and celebrate with two shows Friday, one at Jazz Fest and one at Gasa Gasa.
21. "Cosmic Claps of Love" - Chrome Sparks: The Ann Arbor-bred producer has a Saturday Gasa Gasa show.
22. "Heard About You Last Night" - Mogwai: The moody post-rock vets play a show at the Civic Theatre on Sunday.